Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Formal Essay [Daw] [Kuno]

January 3, 2012.

Wala kaming file. So, we're instructed [again] to do other things. And it's an essay now. Not less than 2000 words and articles are not included. English. Wow... hindi ko talaga naseryoso ang pag aaral ng English sa totoo lang so kung hindi ko sineryoso ang aralin na 'yon, anung aasahan mo sa'kin pag nagbasa ka ng katha ko na puro English?

Handa ka na magbasa ng boring pero comedy na essay?
Warning: Sakit ko din ang maglagay ng punctuation marks... huminga at huminto kung sa tingin mo ay kailangan ng tuldok at nakalimutan ko lagyan.


*******

The Next Six Months

I have been in this company for a year and eight months now. Quite a long period for a Philippine employee you may say. Working on some selection of jobs, I might consider my current employment to be a more decent one. It is great to work on a high-rise bulding in the middle of the business district of the country (20 floors to state – I am on the 18th). Everyday, I had to track my way in a "always-busy" roads of Makati. Yes, Makati. I don't know, but some of my colleagues in school, highschool or college,  have this distinct expression of when you are working on the business central, you get this high regard while  working there. It is just the name of the place, it does not deal anything with the kind of work; Makati has street sweepers too just so you know. I maybe working on a well-known place where business tycoon rule, foreign investor meets, ambassadors live,  and a district mostly owned by a person whose the main avenue was named from, but it does not make me one so one does not need to praise or throw extolments just I am with Makati, I hate that. I am no extraordinaire from an employee from Muntinlupa with the same job and the same paycheck... I'm just a bit farther from home.

        In that almost two years, I have this chance to wander and explore the place, but I was not able to. In fact, I still walk my way to work in the very same route I took when I applied in this job. I lack in place memorization that would be why. Leave me blindfolded in the middle of    Makati Avenue and I will just look on the familiar buildings and look my way around. I am not familiar with the name of the streets, intersection, and establishments.  Needless to say, I still track the same way going home. Yes, the chain of malls: Greenbelt, Landmark, SM.  There is this faster way, when you trail and walk along Ayala Avenue going to EDSA "outside" the mall. I was introduced on the bars and the stores inside that cluster of  malls – appreciate the food and the landscaping. And being as a frustrated photographer, Ayala Avenue would be a great place especially when there is no people lurking in it. I love the avenue when we are in holidays. I could have a digital camera and take a shot of something. Actually, that is one side of the work that I really look after... It is a pleasure – or a work outside of work. Makati is not all about business, not all about work. Makati has a soft place for everyone... each and any person of any kind. Makati in it's cleanest roads have dirty spots too specially at night.

        I have done those things and countless more having the job here. What are in store  for this year is yet to be explored, yet no one knows what would it be. For this next months, life in the disctrict  seems the same. They do not know anything about what's not about business and work matter still matters to whom who needs it and to the ones who are providing it. I would move what my job wants me to do, and I would do it for it is how I am measured. Though I would be doing  the same things  that I generally do or do something more... memorize a new street name maybe.

        There has been a lot of changes in the workplace. It was never like  it was before. This only reminds us that the workplace is not a playground, it is a professional place. It is a place where you work your tissues out to earn. The fun is just second. I have been in three departments or "project", as they call it, of this company. The first project and my current project would be the most commendable – we only lasted for two weeks in the second project before we finally end up in transcribing legal proceedings. We have been transcribing legal procedures for eight months now and it has been a topsy turvy shift from my first project. We transcribe pre-recorded audio call in my first project. It was hard, yes, but legal transcribing is a complete different story. "Transcribing with a sting", it is the way I described it before. "May kurot! Ang sakit eh!" I used to utter. I have to understand all the rules of it, the style of it, the nature of it, and put yourself into it. It is fun though. No, it is hard, really. We were not that familiar with the culture, the accent, the law, and some stuff. "One and a half months of training will not suffice." I remember one of my trainers told us that, but eventually, getting the hang of it, we were  able to join the others who had been there first... well, at least slightly. Say hello to Mr. Shapiro. I remembered handling my very first live file was with him. So, in the near future, when I have to pursue another career out of this company, Adam (Shapiro) would be one great keyword for me to remember the work. I never thought of hanging for this long in this field. I used to say that legal terms and stuff are not for me. But we were chosen to do this. I will just convince myself that there were reason that we were picked from others and we are capable of doing this job.
       
        It has been like that and I think that it would be the same. The workload, the work shifts, the report, statistics, target, incentives, coaching, but not the workplace. Like on the last department where I came from, I used to miss some person that I used to get along for almost a year. One by one, almost monthly, I had to say farewell on some of the people I used to chat with and have lunch with. One part of doing work is doing it with your close companions. And watching them left and go by the day  is the real sting while working in an environment where you are a complete different person while doing the job. It's nice to see that people try to put efforts in making the field a happy place to work and not everybody do that. But you have to go through and continue. Workplace is no place for fun and recreation... it's a professional place.

        In the following months, more people will try to leave and hopefully, same amount will come. Doing the job like I have is not an easy task. More rules to follow, more mistakes to look out. It would take a month and a half training for a newcomer to fully understand or get a glimpse of what we're doing. We're still peeping. But, as an employee, you don't have to to give much attention to the loss, you have to gain; for the company, for yourself.  You are not paid of what you think about the job; neither your opinions on how the system go. You are to move on what you have to do... you are part of the system, it is your job; it is all about you after all. You are in the frontline in the field and what you will do on the ground makes a blot on the name of the institution you represent.

        Walking on the same road and walking home at the same path is what seems I would be doing in the following days. Hit the traffic jam, pile up in the streets for a ride, bump on someone on the bus, standing on a homebound trip in the midst of a storm surge, get to the office, do your stuff, collect your paycheck, and wakeup for another work day. That seem to be the most likely scenario unless there are changes. Together with the "changes" this management told that they will induce, one should be ready for those changes and I hope the changes are good. Many of which who do this job with me seeks for a better compensation from the company... everybody does. And as these changes rolls out, the sake of the employees should be given focus too.

         I have been in the legal transcription business for months now, but it feels like I don't still get the hang of it. I'm still have to convince myself that I have done this, and I have done this correctly. In the following weeks, the first three months I may say, would be crucial. Most of the cases and proceedings would be pouring out again from a Florida based client. We transcribe, we earn.  There are events that is coming ahead this quarter. There are some celebrations, events, and public engagements that will come to slightly help on what kind of employee you are showing now.    Together with the weight of this job, one must at least try to observe these occassions. In the past months, I experienced how to be trained and be the newcomer in this field. In the following months, there were some that would replace our post... we will be the one who will assist, less the assisted.


        I was asked by a very close relative to try and venture outside of the country. It was a big thing, the sound of it still screeching in my head numerous times within the day. There is so much to consider when doing a job overseas for I value relationship ties too much. And that close relative said, "Son, that's what I said when I am thinking of a decision. You will have to be wise nowadays, you know?" In a couple of months, he would be coming back here and settle for good. He is waiting for an answer, six months would be enough to think. People said that working in the country would not bring you anywhere. Some of the times, we might believe that and part of the times, we have to consider obliging ourselves that it's not the solution. Up to this point, I am still obliging myself.

        I have this dedication on everything I do. I make sure that I do what I am asked with passion and dedication. I am not doing a perfect job... many of us neither. I have this longing to do and perfect the craft where I am now... I could; what I could not clearly tell is "until when?" I do not want to end up searching for another adventure leaving the last one unfinished. I would like to make something out of this while I am thinking about the offer. If time permits me so, I'll do great in this career and make the overseas work wait. Six months would be enough to prove myself that I can do this and I can do great on this. The workflow --  the pattern seems the same everyday. What I can do is to change the way I look at my targets and be productive than my normal self would; that would be a clear change.  I would like to know how this business roll out and I would like to know the branches of these job more.  I would like to learn more on how to do somebody's job; those ones who is ahead of us, for us to know what to be like guiding the ones like where I am now. In the following months, one might not know all what he yearn, but at least understand some. The challenge is still on.

        I have been in this company for a year and eight months now.  There's more file to do, more time to practice, and more chances to convince myself that I know what I'm doing. And the challenge is still on. Loads of articles, evidences, exhibits, bunch of new attorneys, bunch of new company names, and  lot more cases. All comes in the next couple of months ahead. This might be a good preparation on what I really look upon on doing; a practice if I may. Once I can tell myself that I can do this job, I can call it challenge done.


*******

[nosebleed *singhot]
Dahil kelangan namin tapusin ang essay sa loob ng isang shift, may pagka redundant na yung ibang linya.
Hahaha gulpi ako nito sa mga English major dyan.
Andyan ang comment box, malaya kayo pumuna hehehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment